Monday, February 18, 2013

Hot Pads, Books, and a Lovely Weekend!

Howdy all! Happy Monday! :D


Anyhoo, before I get to my fantastic weekend, I wanna get this little tidbit out of the way as I keep forgetting to post about it and I'm rather pleased with myself over it! A couple weeks ago, whilst doing folding the kitchen towels and putting them away, I was struck with an idea- I've got to move these darn hot pads! See, in one of the drawers in the kitchen, I keep all my hot pads and towels. But all the hot pads were all heaped on top of the towels making it really obnoxious to get them out... And seeing as I have a white wall in the kitchen that looked kind of drab...


Not really the decorations I was hoping for... I have some 'fat chef' paintings I want to put up, but they're rather heavy and I'm hesitant to go nailing things up to this wall when I don't know if there's a stud or not, and being a galley kitchen, I worry I'd back into them and knock them off the wall! But it keeps the hot pads closer to hand, and I can get my towels out of the drawer easier! Yay!

Anyway, onto the FANTASTIC WEEKEND! 

A week or so ago I got an email from Half Price Books with a coupon for 20% off my whole purchase! Cha-ching! I had just been browsing a few 'top twenty fantasy books' lists online, so the coupon came at just the right time- I jotted down a couple books I wanted. This was just after starting the first Wheel of Time book "The Eye of the World", and seeing as I've been enjoying it (Despite my sordid past with the Wheel of Time series) I wanted to make sure I got the second in the series as well.

So my weekend plans consisted of 'go to Half Price Books'- at least until I glanced at my phone and saw that it was my Grandmother's birthday this last Saturday! Omg! Friday night I told Matt that I needed to go to my grandparents house and the bookstore on Saturday. He looked at me and with that forced smile only a spouse who loves you can give said "Sure Babe. I'd love to go to the bookstore and such with you!"

"The book store sounds great..."

Needless to say I felt sort of bad making him spend his Saturday off browsing a used book store with me, and then going to see my grandparents... So Saturday morning, after getting out of the shower I offered that maybe he'd like to stay at home and play video games instead, since I'd be spending so much time at the bookstore... He agreed that perhaps this would be best!

So off I went to the bookstore! I found several of the books I needed, and even two bookmarks as well. Did you know that bookmarks there are only .49 cents? I love to collect bookmarks, but the nice ones to buy are often three or four dollars a piece, and I hate spending that much. But two for a dollar? I think I may end up buying one or two next time I drop in too!

My Bookmark hoard...

Anyhoo, I got a lot of the books on my list, but a few that I was looking forward too were not in the store, most notably the second Wheel of Time book. (I actually wasn't surprised about the WoT book, as the last of the series was -just- released and the Sci-fi/Fantasy book worlds been going a bit crazy!) So with mild disappointment I headed on to Walmart to buy some flowers for my Grandmother's birthday!

I'd texted my mom earlier in the week asking if they would be able to make it down this weekend, and what she thought I should get my Grams for her birthday, but they weren't able to come down at all, and I was met only with a *shrug* for my troubles. I've always been rather horrible at finding presents for people- I never know what they want! After wracking my brain I came up with the brilliant idea that my Grandmother loves flowers! Ha-HAH! No one else will have thought to get her those!

I arrived at my grandparents with my prize, walked in the door and- 

Drat.

I'm sure you can tell which set of flowers were mine.... My parents, unable to come down, made up for it by sending that gorgeous arrangement! One uped! Curses! The flowers were both beautiful and my grandmother loved them. We went out to our family's favorite Chinese restaurant for dinner, and had a wonderful time together!

Matt and I spent the next morning and afternoon playing video games with friends. By late afternoon we were ready fora break, so I went and showered and we talked about what to do. "Well, they gave me back my coupon to Half Price Books... We could go up to the one in Edmond and see if they've got the second Wheel of Time book and the few others left on my list?" I said. Matt thought this over. "Sure, and we can stop by Best Buy and look around. Maybe get that remote to the PS3 we've been wanting and then something to eat!". And off we went!

As soon as we walked into Best Buy I made a beeline for the 3DS section. Even when I have no intention of getting anything, I like to see what they have available. And there it was- on sale for $19.99, half off!


ZOMG! This game came out last November, but we didn't really have the money for it when it released, and ever since then I've been passing it by in the store thinking "Hey, I really want this game! But.... eh, I don't wanna spend $40 on it right now." But for half off the brand new game! Heck yes! I snatched it off the shelf and ran around the corner to find Matt walking over with the $20 PS3 remote. We ended up picking up a 16GB flash drive for me as well as they were on sale for ten dollars. then headed up to the front, while Matt used his phone to spend some of our Bets Buy points to get us a coupon- which ended up being one for $50 off!

We get to the checkout counter and our total before tax comes out to be three cents less then $50, meaning we can't use the coupon at all. Drat. We regathered our stuff and headed back into the store. "Were there any other games you wanted?" Matt asked. "Not for the 3DS... Maybe they have a copy of Uncharted for the PS3? I've been wanting to try it." I replied. And they did- a two pack package of the first and second game for only $30. So we ended up spending about thirty two dollars total, but still, we got over $100 worth of merchandise for thirty bucks!

After that we headed to the other Half Price Bookstore, and happily, they had the second Wheel of Time and two of the other books I was looking for as well! So I managed to get 8 books and 2 bookmarks this weekend for only $28!


While we were there, I also traded the green bookmark for one without a messed up tassel. I didn't notice till I'd gotten back home on Saturday that the tassel on it was missing the tie off string... I'm not usually too very concerned with the tassels since they always fall apart eventually, but I didn't want to get one that was already on it's way to becoming a pile of useless strings!

Aren't they pretty? :D

After all the goodies we came away with (Or mostly -I- came away with, though Matt's been enjoying Uncharted) we finished off our wonderful weekend with dinner at Texas Roadhouse. Nothing like a juicy rare steak to make your evening tops!

So the weekend was nice, and I'm hoping to continue the trend this week! I'm loaded up on books, and 2 recently acquired video games and my art is going, somewhat slowly but surely so far! I'm going to try and hit it hard this week, get some things accomplished. I'll finish off this post with two photo's from my sketchbook- and you can see what else I've got posted at my deviant art page here: Brunn's DeviantART.



~~Brunn~~

1 comment:

Daffycat said...

I dunno how I missed this post other than the fact we've been CRAZY busy?

You don't or worry about your flowers not being as elaborate as ours. YOU visited Gram on her birthday and WE did not!

Lovey post, kiddo.