Monday, January 21, 2013

Reborn the Monster!


Friends of mine my age will get the name, but for those of you not in the 'know' it's from a TV show/Trading Card Game called Yu-Gi-Oh!. In it, there's a special card called 'Monster Reborn' that lets you re-summon a monster that has died to fight for you. And because the show is translated from Japanese they don't always get the syntax for things quite right.... Hence "Reborn the monster!!!". I tried to find a clip of it from the show on YouTube  but there are only videos of people complaining about how the Monster Reborn card is banned because it's over powered. Sad pandas.

Anyway, why the awkwardly phrased opening? Well, I'm basically casting Monster Reborn on this blog, and some other things in my life too! It's been too long since I posted here and there's a lot to discuss!

My last post was In October. We didn't do anything for Halloween at all really, so no news there. At some point after Halloween I think it was, I got en extremely excited call from my mom. The insurance company who covered my car at the time I had someone stop short in front of me (Read the post HERE!) a few months back had finally decided I was NOT at fault for the accident! So we got our $750 dollar deductible back. A very tidy sum indeed which we immediately put towards our credit cards.

After that came Thanksgiving; I look forward pretty much all year long to the end of the year for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I super love holidays and getting to spend them with family! This year though, I got a text from my parents two days before Thanksgiving, whom I was beyond excited to see as I hadn't seen them in months, that one of my uncles on my dad's side had passed away and they wouldn't be able to come to Thanksgiving. Super sad, although we did get to spend half of Thanksgiving with Matt's side of the family too which was loads of fun!

So with Thanksgiving having fallen through, but Christmas right around the corner, I excitedly put up the Christmas tree!



 Obligatory "Lit Christmas Tree with House Lights Off" shot.


The last photo is of the my first tree ornament, one that my mom made me last Christmas I believe. Isn't it gorgeous? The rest of my tree is decorated with little colored balls; I have a fondness for more traditional ornaments. Our friend Lance did get us some lovely new ornaments this year though, a big green pear for me, and a ball with a reindeer painted on it for Matt! I wish I'd thought to egt pictures before I'd put them up...

Anyway, about a week before Christmas, which for me was even more important as we'd been missing family members for Thanksgiving, I get another call from Mom. My grandmother had slipped in the shower and broken her hip. I was very upset, not only with worry over the health of my grandmother, but the not getting to enjoy Christmas with my family. (Family get togethers are even more important to me now as my grandparents are starting to get up there in age, and they won't live forever! If only we were immortal!)

Matt consoled me that we would at least get to see his side of the family for Christmas, which did cheer me up! Then it blizzarded Christmas day. -_-;  Not even kidding, we had a small blizzard, and although it didn't get too very bad here, we still couldn't risk driving anywhere and getting snowed/iced in. Not the greatest Christmas in the world!

So the holidays were a bit of a bust. I did get to spend a lot of time with my Hubby however, so that was great at least! New years was nothing special. I was off, but Matt had to work so he was on the clock right up until midnight. No kisseys for me! 

And now it's back to regular everyday updatey stuff. After the loss of our family dog last year, my parents have finally gotten a new puppy! They've named her Molly, and you can read all about her on my Mom's blog HERE! Matt and I went to see her last weekend, and she's the cutest little alligator in border collie's clothing! She's still a bit of a biter, but she'll get out of that soon enough!

My birthday was a couple days back on the 16th. I'm 25 now! O.o Doesn't feel any different. I had a birthday dinner of country style ribs with my parents when we were in Stilly to visit the new Molly-wog. Earlier this week, my mother-in-law brought me a check from them for my birthday (Thanks guys!) Then this last Friday I had some Beef Stew with my grandparents and Aunt; Stew is my favorite dinner, so Pawpaw often makes it for me! And then last night Matt and I finally had the chinese feast and anime I'd decided I wanted earlier in the week, and I bought myself a new 3DS game! Awkwardly spread out, but good birthday! It's hard to do family stuff when everyone lives in different towns!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now that the regular updates are done, it's time for the second part of my 'monster reborn'. I've been pretty unhappy at work for the last few months... And I'm still not sure this whole 'librarian thing' is what I want to do with my life. It's a big cost investment for the degree (It has to be an ALA accredited degree to get me a job, and the only school in Oklahoma that offers the accredited MLIS program is OU; not exactly cheap), especially when I'm not sure I'll even like it well enough in the long term. I don't just want a 'job' I drag myself too, I want a career, a life. Something I'll enjoy doing and be excited to do everyday. And I honestly can't be sure of the long term availability of well paying Library jobs. Technology is quickly changing the way that library systems work; While I LOVE research, what I wanted to do was work with books. On top of that, the areas here are saturated with MLIS  graduates, since OU is here. And in terms of pay amount versus cost of the degree, a MLIS doesn't pay off real well.

All in all, I'm really struggling with where I want to go with my life. So I'm going to be putting more focus on my art right now. I want to improve and maybe move into that. I'm a decent artist, and I know I'll be able to excel if I put dedication and effort into it. Maybe the dream of being an illustrator I gave up years and years ago and then substituted Theater with  can still come true?

As such I've been going through artworks and such. I have three pieces I've been working on, 2 linearts that need colors and one sketch I'm working on turning into a lineart. From there I'm going to be doing some life drawing, animal studies, anything I can to improve  And I gotta get into Photoshop, since it's the industry standard... Oh, previews!


Finished lineart that needs colors...


Small preview of a larger piece I'm working on doing the lines for from a sketch...


And another finished lineart!


And a little character sheet doodle I did a while back for fun! I realized I'd never posted this here!

I'll leave you guys with that then. Updates soon!
~~Brunn~~


No comments: