Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Book-O-Holic

Every couple of days I get a hankering. Usually it's controllable... I'll go to the special places in my house where I keep them. I'll get my fill at work. But sometimes, I just can't stand it.

"Sweetie? Can I buy some books..?" I softly call. "Don't you have enough books?" Matt replies.

But there can never be enough books!

If you've read my blog at all, you'll know I'm an admitted book-o-holic. I LOVE books. If I were a dragon, I'd hoard books instead of gold. Nothing makes me happier then going into a Barnes and Noble, or Half Price Books store. I could spend hours in them browsing through fantasy, fiction, the cookbooks... anything really! It isn't just reading them that makes me happy, it's the nooks themselves. The feel, the smell, turning the pages, the first time you crack them open... It's bound perfection!

The sad thing is, I'm also easily distracted. Between my other loves of cooking fancy meals, my cat, my art, and any other new toys I have like the PS3, I also have work and chores that need doing too. Books are also a very solo activity. Matt isn't much of a reader anymore, and the time I spend reading is less time I can spend being with him. I like to read in a quiet room, curled up somewhere cushy with a cup of hot tea... But Matt's love of computery things rarely makes for a quiet room!

Yesterday, I got that hankering again, to set hoof in a bookstore. I had to resist the urge to stop at the two bookstores that were on my way to walmart yesterday evening. To quell my need to get new books, I just went to my shelves and counted up all the books I need to get too....

And there's... kind of a lot.

That's just the most handy of the ones I need to get too. But the reading life of a book-o-holic is a meandering thing. I don't just read whatever's next in the pile. I pick the one I'm in the mood for. It's why I end up reading so many books at once- sometimes I just can't wait to start a new one! 

So I'm gonna try and get through at least most of this stack by the end of the year. Dunno how far that will go... But I'm gonna give it a shot!

~~Brunn~~

1 comment:

Daffycat said...

You come by your love of books honestly, at least. I guess I started all this. I'm sure your bookcases were already strained before you were three years old!