Wednesday, May 9, 2012

More Books!

It's been a fairly busy couple of days here. Lots of reading for me really! So here's a little update!

About a month ago now I think, one of my fellow Pages at the library quit. She was quite ill, and also attending college and between the two had been calling in for weeks at a time. While we all felt for her, and certainly never blamed her for her absences, it was nice to know we'd be getting in someone who would be more reliable. Our new Page started this last week. I'm not sure what to make of her- she's very friendly, which is great, but as I'm a shy person I like to feel people out a bit before I get buddy buddy with them, and she's not really giving me the time to do that. She also seems very... well, loud. I don't really like talkative, loud people like that. O.o; I'm sure all will work out once we know each other better!

I've been sick these last few days, and was afraid I'd have to go to the doctor for antibiotics. What's worse, the over the counter meds I was taking was making my stomach extremely upset every time I took a dose- which was three times a day. I think I'm over it now though, off the meds with no ill effect and my stomach seems settled. I did take yesterday off though, for some much needed sleep and rest on the bed while my stomach ached instead of standing around in the heat shelving books, and feel way better today!

Oh, and I mentioned heat? That's the one downside to my job really. Our air conditioner SUCKS. Badly. It is always hot and humid in the library, which is terrible for both the books and the Pages moods. It isn't fun to shove heavy carts laden with heavy books around the library when it's 83 degrees in a building with no air flow. By the end of the day I'm usually sweating and in a sour mood. It may be fine and dandy for the librarians who do nothing but sit at a computer all day, but when you're climbing step stools, bending down, sitting on the floor, pushing carts and handling books, it's nearly unbearable. They did come in and 'work on' the air conditioner so it was slightly cooler inside then out, but I seriously worry about this summer when it'll be 105 degrees outside. If it's that hot inside, I dunno how long I'll be working there.

Anyway, I said I'd been doing some reading since my last post, and I have! I've finished two books, albeit teen reads. I usually don't read books labeled as 'teen' or 'young adult'. They are usually not in depth enough for me to enjoy- the plot lines and language too simple, and the characters too little detailed. But after the last few thousand page tomes and long winded series I've read, I thought it would be nice for a little fluff!


The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor was very well written for how short it was. I really enjoyed the unique take on the traditional Alice in Wonderland characters. The action was very fast paced, and the premise was enjoyable. I even put the sequel to it on reserve at the library. That being said, it wasn't as in depth as I would have liked. I'd have loved to have this be on of my thousand page epics, fully realized and as awesome as it could have been! I'll enjoy the rest of the series, and console myself on how fantastic a book like this would be if written for adults I suppose.


I also finished The Iron Thorn by Caitlin Kittredge this morning. As I said in my Shelfari review: 

I really wanted to rate this book higher, but there are so many little annoyances with it that really stopped me from enjoying it as much as I could have. The dystopian 'steampunkish' setting doesn't work well with the time period it's set in. While everyone else's name in the book is simple and pronounceable such as 'Dean', 'Cal', or 'Conrad', the main character's name is an unpronounceable and strange ''Aoife'. And the character of Cal will argue with EVERYTHING, no matter what it is, whether it be life or death- to the point you'll want to fling the book across the room whenever he opens his trap. His character is so over done for the majority of the book that it nearly ruins a big reveal.
On top of this, the pacing is awful for the majority of the book, where it takes too long to get anywhere or do anything. The author leaves you in the dark as to what's happening to Aoife for far too long, practically to the point you'll put the book down in frustration. I feel as if she trying to build dramatic tension to keep you going, but it fell flat, and just leaves you confused for the first half of the book.
As it stands however, after about 400 pages, the story -finally- picked up and grabbed my interest. Once you finally get a real idea of where it's going and the magic system at work (Which, I'm sorry, the author used a terrible and stupid sounding name for) the book turns around and leaves you wanting more. I'll be putting in a request for the sequel at the library today.
So should you read the book? It is YA and it is a fairly fast read, which does work in it's favor for the first 400 pages. I would recommend checking this unique and interesting book out at the library before you buy. It's great at the end- IF you can get there!

Aoife? Seriously? I just can't get over how ridiculous this name choice was when compared with everyone else. Like any teen kid is going to figure out it's pronounced 'Eeffa'. Anyway, all the reviews I've seen for the sequel The Nightmare Garden have started with "Way better then the first book!" and as I did enjoy the end of Iron Thorn, I'll be picking it up at some point. Being YA, it's such a quick read, why not?

Right now I've got a library copy of Green Rider by Kristen Britain to keep me occupied. Haven't seena  bad review for it yet, and in fact, I technically own a copy of it... But it's a stripped book I got when I worked at Hastings, and paperbacks are kind of a pain in the butt to read when missing the front cover. Besides, I've noticed I tend to stay on track reading library books better then I do my own copies, especially when it's a new series or author I'm unfamiliar with. I thinks it's because I've technically only got the book for so long, so I want to get it finished quickly! I set my Shelfari goal for this year to be 50 books read, and I'm way behind as it is- have to stay at it!

No comments: