Friday, January 20, 2012

Leftovers...

At our house, we eat a lot of leftovers. With it just being the two of us, we always end up with a lot of leftover food from the night before, which makes for some pretty tasty next day lunches! Sometimes I even cook large portions on purpose so we can eat the leftovers for a few days afterward!

The worst is when it comes to meats. I often buy the largest container of ground beef or chicken breasts I can find, portion them off, and freeze them. This significantly cuts down on the cost of meat, which is astronomical! Have you seen how expensive a pound of bacon is anymore?? Sometimes though, I'll just cook an entire package with the intention of eating them the next day, which is what I did with the pork chops I bought the other day.

It was a seven pack of thin cut, boneless pork chops- they were on sale for two dollars off since they were dated to be tossed the next day. I breaded them and fried them up real fast, and we had fried pork chops, rice-a-roni, and green beans for dinner. But the next day those pork chops aren't looking so hot... And I'm not relishing the idea of reheating and eating them plain. I could smother them in gravy... or I could be more creative!

Brunn's Leftover Fried Rice

  • Leftover Meat, preferably pork or chicken.
  • 1 cup Fresh Vegetables diced (I used Carrots, Onions, and Celery)
  • 1 1/2 Cups Instant Rice
  • 2 eggs, scrambled
  • Garlic Powder, Salt, Pepper
  • Soy Sauce (Whatever's your favorite)
  • Veggie Oil
  • Oyster Sauce (Optional)
  • Sesame Oil (Optional)
Note: Quantities will change depending on how much meat you have left- I only had two thin cut pork chops left, so I didn't make a TON of fried rice lol.

Cook that rice- I use the microwave, you can use the stove, whichever you prefer. While the rice is cooking, dice up your vegetables small, and place in a bowl, then dice up your meat. Heat oil in a non-stick skillet or wok on medium high heat, then season and saute vegetables until carrots are starting to soften and onions are transparent. 


Once the veggies are getting done, add in the diced meat. Remember, the meat is already cooked, you just want to get it heated through. I also add a splash or two of soy sauce, and a bit more seasoning right now. (Season as you go, it helps to create layers of flavor!)

Once the meat is heated, slide it all into a bowl, add a little more oil to your wok, and let it reheat. Dump in your rice and fry 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently and adding seasoning. Once the rice starts to brown, scoot it all to one side of the pan and dump the scrambled eggs in the empty side.


Cook the eggs just like you would if you were scrambling them for breakfast. It's fine if you end up getting rice mixed in it while they cook. Once the eggs are scrambled together, stir them in with the rice, give it a few splashes of soy sauce, and stir it all together. Dump the veggie/meat mixture in, give it a few stirs, and drizzle the oyster sauce over the top of that. Mix it in, remove from heat, and ENJOY!


This is a great way to use leftover cooked meats and it simple and easy to prepare. So long as you don't burn anything, you can't really screw this up! Pretty much any meat or veggie will work with this. I also do the same thing as a stir fry, using spaghetti noodles instead of rice. It's simple, uses what you have, and requires very little time. I love making dishes like that, such as pot pies from leftover roasts, or casseroles from cooked veggies.

In other news, I'm busy working on an art piece for an art contest! I've never entered an art contest before, but I thought it might be fun to give it a shot. I doubt I'll win anything, but I really am enjoying working on the piece and putting so much effort into it. Here's a little preview of what I'm working on...


Hehe, he's all fuzzy!

~~Brunn~~

2 comments:

Daffycat said...

Yummy. I LOVE Chinese food!

We have been adding a good sprinkle of ground red pepper to our green beans lately. I gives them a really tasty kick.

Patty said...

That sounds good! Now I'm hungry! I usually make stir fry with leftover meat (steak or pork) but last time I didn't have any so I scrambled a couple of eggs and added them to my veggies. First time I ever did that and I liked it. By the way, I just popped in from your mom's blog. I like her new header.