Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Tea and a Good Book...

I've taken to having tea... a lot. In all honesty I'm trying to curb my soda consumption. Tea is so much healthier for me, even if it's sweetened with a nip of sugar. I really wish America had developed a similar tea culture to, say, Japan. Vending machines filled with fresh, chilled, bottles of tea would be so much healthier for us! In any case, I've really been enjoying Foojoy's Jasmine Green Tea. It's like brewing pure awesome.

Foojoy: Individually Wrapped Awesome

I'd really like to try some of their other varieties, but first I have to find a place that carries it. I don't think the Wal-Marts here have it, and the box I have I purchased and the oriental food store in the city. Must, get, tea!

Coming off of finishing A Discovery of Witches, I decided to start A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin. I've been waiting six years for this book, and I really am looking forward to it! But heaven forbid I go anywhere near a Barnes and Noble... and that's exactly what happened. I saw in an email that they had both Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs, and The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern on sale. Both have been wildly popular, and I've really wanted to read both, so I went ahead and picked up both. And boy am I glad I did!


I'm so glad, I started this one first; being a teen novel, I ripped through it in just a few hours. Coming down off the high that Discover of Witches was, I was very pleased that the book ended up being fantastic.  As quoted from it's Shelfari page:
A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs. It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children , an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive. A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows..........
Sounds brilliant, doesn't it? And it certainly lived up to it as well. From the first few pages, I couldn't hardly put it down. The only downside is it's the first of a series and the sequel has yet to be released! It's slated for Spring 2012 last I saw, so there's hope I may survive the wait!


The Night Circus which I've just started, has had all sorts of hype going around about it. All of the people I watch on Shelfari have added it, and the woman who checked me out at Barnes and Noble even told me that she loved it to pieces and highly recommended it. Here's the video trailer for the book.


I'm not real sure what the deal is all of a sudden with short video trailers for books. All of the recent new releases have had them. I suppose with the way social media is moving, people just can't be bothered to read the 'boring', old synopsis. In any case, they're kind of neat, and the one above is pretty fantastic in and of itself. Love to music.

I can't wait for November to roll around, so many of the things I've been waiting on are finally coming out! The last Eragon book is finally releasing on November 8th, and Revenge of the Dwarves by Markus heitz releases on the third. And on top of that the new Elder Scrolls game comes out the same day we move into our new apartment. So much excitement in November! I can't wait!

~~Brunn~~ 

No comments: